Whalebone incident
Device and subscription management API errors
Whalebone experienced a minor incident on September 17, 2026 affecting Europe (exo-01) and Aura and 1 more component, lasting 8h 27m. The incident has been resolved; the full update timeline is below.
Affected components
Update timeline
- investigating Sep 17, 2026, 01:46 PM UTC
We are investigating an issue affecting device and subscription management API requests. Requests may time out or fail. DNS resolution remains fully operational. Our team is working to restore normal operation. We will provide the next update within one hour, or sooner if more information becomes available.
- investigating Sep 17, 2026, 02:27 PM UTC
We are seeing signs of recovery in device and subscription management API requests following our recovery actions. Our team is verifying service stability and working to restore the remaining functionality. DNS resolution remains fully operational. Thank you for your patience. We will provide the next update within one hour, or sooner as recovery progresses.
- investigating Sep 17, 2026, 03:13 PM UTC
De-escalating as Management API was restored.
- investigating Sep 17, 2026, 03:13 PM UTC
Management API service has been restored. Our team continues working to restore Admin Portal functionality, particularly the Product and DNS Traffic dashboards, which are not loading. Threat Logs are also delayed. DNS resolution remains fully operational. Thank you for your continued patience. We will provide the next update within one hour, or sooner if there is a significant change.
- monitoring Sep 17, 2026, 04:31 PM UTC
Management API service and all Admin Portal functionality, including the Product and DNS Traffic dashboards, have been restored. Log processing has resumed, and delayed DNS Traffic data and Threat Logs are catching up. DNS resolution remains fully operational. We are monitoring recovery and will confirm resolution once log processing has caught up. Thank you for your patience.
- resolved Sep 17, 2026, 09:00 PM UTC
The incident has been resolved. Management API and all Admin Portal functionality, including the Product and DNS Traffic dashboards, are operating normally. DNS Traffic and Threat Log processing has caught up. DNS resolution remained fully operational throughout the incident. Thank you for your patience. We apologise for the disruption.